Snippets and snapshots from my semester studying abroad in Rabat, where I will be learning about the language, culture, literature and how to deter the advances of strange men.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

12-24 And I return

Sorry for the delayed posting. I've been super busy showing my mom and sister all around Morocco, and then the flaky internet hasn't helped anything. I'll try to get caught up soon.

I’m back! This time accompanied by my mom and my sister. It’s nice to be able to communicate again—in Spain, I felt completely useless and just made other people talk for me all the time. It’s also fun to show them a bit of my life from the past few months.

We arrived in Marrakesh by plane on Monday afternoon, and they were sports about being dragged all over the craziness that is Morocco after not sleeping for over 24 hours. They did, however, like Morocco better the next day after sleeping for a solid 12 hours.

This was out hotel in Marrakech. It was an old house and was so beautifully decorated.

We watched the sunset from the terrace.

Next we went to Essaouira, where I brought them back to the same nameless hotel wehre I stayed last time. They were a bit skeptical at first, but then they say how adorable it was. We took a camel ride, because that’s what you have to do in Morocco.

This evening, the fam got their first Turkish toilet experience. It was a particularly gross one in a bus station so I felt a bit bad. But Mom said it was fun…

I can’t wait to be back in the familiarity of Rabat and introduce my family to the families I have gotten to know there.

The rest of my time in Madrid was a blast. I sort of got a little used to the cold (I didn’t always want to immediately start thinking about the next time I would be inside as soon as I stepped out). Madrid was Christmas-y—all the main streets were lit, there were Christmas trees everywhere, and I did Christmas-y things like ice skating and baking Christmas cookies. It was a bit of a shocking explosion of the season, as I was not around for the buildup. It was also strange to be walking around at night, and to be able to stand alone in a square without having anyone approach me. My friend Eli though it was strange that no one asked him if he was lost and offered to give him directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment