Snippets and snapshots from my semester studying abroad in Rabat, where I will be learning about the language, culture, literature and how to deter the advances of strange men.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Final words from the airplane

Well, I’m on an airplane. After almost five months away, I’m finally on my way home. I have to say, I don’t even know what to think. I’ve had a handful of temporary homes, but all of them feel more immediate and real than the one I’m coming back to. Away seems more normal that back and I can hardly remember what I miss. I guess when I get back I will slowly re-remember my life there and find out how I relate to it now. Everybody talks about how going abroad changes you, but honestly, I no longer have a point zero to compare. I know I’ve learned

Turkish security was serious business. I had my passport checked by nine different people and was given a total of 13 stickers. I also got special care (I’m hoping it’s just because I was coming from a different country than I was going to or that that country was Tunisia, not because I’m flagged now…). Everyone got an interview at check-in and before getting on the plane, they hand searched our bags and patted down every single person. However, it was all done very smoothly and pretty quickly considering how thorough it was (as opposed to the US, where it often seems neither quick nor thorough). I’m mad at them for taking my empty water bottle and my toothpaste, though.

The screen at check in said the weather in New York is negative eight degrees Celsius. I’m too sleepy to do the conversion, but that sounds cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment